Thursday, February 14, 2008

A history lesson, a quilt and a love letter

Sometime in 2007, I signed up for a Block of the Month mailing for The Civil War Diary Quilt. Each month in my letterbox there is a fat, squishy, yellow envelope. I open the envelope, remove the little red check paper bag that holds the fabrics for four different blocks in the book and I throw the bag in a box, where they sit patiently waiting for me to decided when I will start working on them. Hello little blocks...it's your lucky day! Today when I stopped by Kathie's blog, she showed the blocks that she is making from The Civil War Diary Quilt. She wanted to know if anyone else is interested in playing along? Of course I sent back an email saying "I'm in!" This is just the bump I needed to get going on this quilt. But what really excites me is that I can easily tie the quilt into our school work. My son reads everything he can about the Civil War. Each year, usually right before we start our lessons in July, we take a trip to a Civil War battlefield. Last summer, it was Antietam and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. He spends the day, dressed in his Union soldier re-enactment uniform and traces the movements that the soldiers made across the battlefield. When he reads about the bayonet charge down Little Round Top, he knows exactly how long it takes to get down the little hill. He knows just how uncomfortable a wool uniform is on a 90 degree day. He can appreciate the pain the soldiers must have felt from wearing shoes that didn't fit. And after eating hard tack and beef jerky for a day, he has a better appreciation for his mamma's home cooked meals. Each spring as we approach the end of our school year, (less than 30 days left! Hurray!)we put together a short movie of his time spent learning about American history. video

No comments: