Friday, August 15, 2008

There are days that....

as a home schooling mom I question whether I am making good decisions regarding the lessons I choose to teach my children. Will I look back and have regrets, will they wish they had something different, will they be prepared as adults for the real world.....
And then there are days that we venture out into the real world and participate in activities with his peers. And then something like this happens and my doubts seem foolish and for a short while I can bask in knowing that he is learning the lessons we teach him and they are valuable and he is able to apply them to interests of his life other than education.
In the first week of hockey camps, my son was awarded a captain's C. The decision of which player to award the C to is based on the passion, work ethic, intensity, energy and character that the participant shows the previous day of camp. It is signified by the C on his jersey. My son earned his C for his first day at hockey camp. It sends a strong message to my head and heart that we are on the right path. Congratulations Doogie! Love, mom

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Congratulations to you for what you are teaching your children!! You're probably giving them a much better base than any school classroom could hope to accomplish!

Linda said...

Character is not something you will find being taught in a classroom, it only comes from the example you walk each day with your children. Congratulations to your son, and to his mummy.

Milah said...

Congratulations Mother and Son! My faith in our future is renewed when I see young men like your son. We need more mothers like you.

Judy said...

Good for him! I always said that if I had had kids I would have home schooled them...which in a family of school teachers wasn't received well, let me tell you. Too bad. Still would be my choice...seems like a very good one for you and your kids.

Anonymous said...

Home schooling was not an option when my chidlren were young, I would have scholled them at home if it had been an option. I am certain they would have gotten a better education than they did at the schools they attended.

Well done, do not denigrate yourself, you are doing a gret job and you chidlren will grow up to be well educated, well adjusted children.

Keep up the good work. I love reading your blog.