Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's a Dark Day Here.....

The weather here in Ohio is changing and the air seems a little cooler each day. Two yards of red flannel have been washed and have been paired up with a pattern for a pair of bloomers for my daughter to keep her legs warm under her dresses this winter. Things we going great this morning and I was ready to sit the children at their lessons and cut out the pattern, until I went to warm the old girl up, only to find that she will heat no more. We have been together for nearly seven years and she has been such a faithful help meet in all of my quilting and sewing endeavors and adventures. She has helped to square things up and squash things flat. I love ironing and she had a certain comforting heft about her. Her aqua water tank and orange blinking light has become part of the warmth of our home. She will be dearly missed! My back up iron is a cordless Maytag and she came with her own fancy carrying case. She has lived quietly in Rowenta's shadow for many years. Hopefully May and I can iron out our differences and forge a long working relationship.

10 comments:

Catherine said...

I can totally sympathize with you on this! When my old iron packed it in, I was SO dismayed. Still haven't found one that is anywhere near as good. Hope you can get accustomed to working with May easily.

Terri said...

I feel for you. I recently had to replace my old Sunbeam when she died a peaceful death. She was a wedding present 35 years ago and the only iron I've ever owned. Not sure I'll ever like the new one as well!!

Nadine said...

You have such a talent to write about simple things ! :>)
I like ironing... but only my quilty things, the rest is another story, heehee...
What a lovely book you've thrown in the give-away box! I just LOVE Jennifer Chiaverini's books, but still haven't read the 3 (or 4?) last ones. Will have to pay a visit to Amazon, one of these days ;>)

BBH to you, dear
NADINE

ps : WOW, seems you're having soooo many visitors for that giveaway! It always amazes me how quickly good news are spread out.
No doubt you're going to make someone very happy ;>)

silversewer said...

I bought a new iron a couple of years ago against my precious tefal dying on me.....she is still going strong.....so the 'new' iron is still in its box on a shalf in the store cupboard.

Joyce said...

Isn't it amazing how attached we get to our irons? I have a Pfaff steam generator iron that I've actually driven 100 miles to get fixed. I read about your Ohio Home of The Brave. I've done several tops for them. Where in Ohio do you live? I'm just south of the Akron/Canton area.
Joyce

BrendaS said...

My Rowenta Sew and Press died in summer. it just quit heating, like yours did. apparently that's a huge problem with Rowentas. Now I've got a TFal Ultraguide -- not quite as good, but not bad.

Eileen said...

ahhh.. your post is about ironing today too. :-)
Hope you and your Maytag learn to get along well.

Marilyn R said...

An iron can help make or break a project. I was sad when my favorite iron died too.

Joyce said...

Thank you for your comments on my "First Quilt" post. I am planning one more row to make it square, and then just use it as a center on point. I'm hoping to put white around it and then convince my friend to mark it, so we can hand quilt it together. That's my plan, not sure what her plan is, gg
Joyce

Bec said...

I hope things work out with your new iron. My son pulled the ironing board over (not in use thankfully) and broke my iron late last year. I kept using it until early this year when I started to smell burning from it. Was at a total loss because I had to replace it. However the replacement I ended up with is much better than my old iron so I soon got over my reluctance to use the new one!
I would love to see some pictures of your winter bloomers, I have just recently posted some pictures of ones I made my girls for summer.
ohsewbusy dot blogspot dot com
Bec in Australia xxx