Friday, October 3, 2008

My family forbids me to....

join another swap before the end of the year. And I say to them...."Thank you...just right after I finish the three Pay It Forward gifts that I need to finish and send out...after that I am done!" But in case a really fun swap comes along, I had my fingers crossed behind my back and no one thought to look. But I had a blast stitching the pillow for Anne as part of Rhonda's Pincushion Swap at Down To Earth. This week in between caring for two sick children and then coming down with my own bit of terrible cold, I was able to convert the stitching into a pincushion and stuff it and stitch it closed. I backed it with a bit of left over fabric that was the perfect shade of green. Though with the October skies taking over, I'm not sure that it looks that perfect in the photo. This is a quilt that was intended to be a wedding gift for the daughter of the pastor of a church we were attending a few years ago. When the bride heard that I was making a quilt for her, she sent back word through the grapevine that she really was only looking to receive gifts from her Target bridal registry. Which leaves me only two things to say.... We don't go to that church any more and the quilt will look great on my couch! I've decided to call it "The Big Red Barn" and will have to decide whether to put borders on her as she is already more than large enough for our couch. The search is on for a snuggly flannel backing and then that will only leave the quilting and binding. Perfect quilting for a chilly autumn day. Using the best of my time while my family was away in Indianapolis for last weekend's hockey tournament, I finished up a quilt top that is for the Home of the Brave Quilt Project. The quilt will be given to the family of an Ohio soldier who has fallen in the line of duty. Ohio has lost 186 soldiers to date, and not all of the families have received a quilt. This is the third quilt that I have worked on. The blocks were pieced by quilter's across the country and I assembled the top. The quilt top will be passed along to another quilter who will quilt, bind and sew on a special label and then the quilt will be presented to the fallen soldier's family. If you don't have time to piece an entire quilt...could you spare a few minutes to piece a 9 patch block? Email me if you are interested in donating a block or two to a special project. When I first began hand piecing I began with these easy 9 patch blocks. I was amazed at how quickly a 9 patch block could be hand pieced. The blocks were pieced two years ago before moving to the farm. Last winter I machine pieced the blocks into the rows and added the sashing. I had a difficult time choosing the fabric for a border, but when I finally came across a bit of Thimbleberries with acorns, I decided that it was just what I needed to finish the quilt. The top will go into my "To be quilted" pile and wait for a spot in the quilt frame and eventually be hung in Douglas' bedroom as a wall warmer. And last but not least a sampling of fabrics that were a gift from my family when they went to my favorite quilt shop...Quilts Plus in Indianapolis! I began playing with the fabrics and I think I feel another Log Cabin coming along.

12 comments:

Eileen said...

First of all, your pillow is very elegant, and the backing is perfect. Such a beautiful piece of work.
And phooey on the bride.. she really missed out!!

Love your new fabrics. Isn't it funny how we keep coming back to a favorite pattern over and over again?

Carol said...

Silly Bride...she has no clue! Love the log cabin...it's always a favorite. Your new fabrics are just wonderful. I'd love to make some blocks for the soldier quilts.

Nadine said...

SUPERB ! Your quilt tops and fabrics are feeding my eyes and soul - not to mention that Oh-So-Cute pincushion ! I'm sure your swappartner will treasure it for ever :)
Bless the Pastor's daughter! That "Big Red Barn" is sooo lovely, and it looks like the autumn sun is shining over it. LOVE it so much !
Actually, I've been thinking a lot about log cabin blocks, lately. I made one (throw size) looong ago(my very first quilt!) with all the fabric leftovers, from my eldest daughter's dresses when she was a little girl. Now I'm longing to make another one (it's all YOUR fault!). Will have to note this on my "To-Do-Some-Day" list;)
I'd be delightedmaking some nine patch blocks for the soldiers families quilt projects. Just tell me about the measures, etc... and I'll throw them in my next package.

BBH from me to you,
(will email later today ;)
XOXOXOXOXO
NADINE

Catherine said...

That little pincushion is a work of art!! Lucky, lucky recipient to receive that!
As to the bride -- she has no idea what she's missing! I cannot believe anyone turning down a quilt!

Carolien said...

That bride is mad, I am sorry to say so but she really is. My goodness, how could she be so rude! My mouth fell open when I read this. Well, at least you can enjoy this quilt yourself now. Love your nine patch quilts as well, especially the green one. You make such beautiful things! Enjoy your weekend and I hope everybody feels better by now.

Greetings, Carolien

Carolien said...

Oh yes, because of that bride's story I totally forgot to tell you that that pincushion really is the most beautiful pincushion I have ever seen. It's a work of art! Lucky receiver ...

Hugs, Carolien

Marilyn R said...

That Bride had no clue on what she was missing! I have been to Quilt's Plus too. That is a fun place to go. Email me with details on the nine patch block please. Thanks!

silversewer said...

Christine..... I was quite moved by your piece about the Ohio soldiers, I have a nine patch quilt top that is pieced but needs wadding backing and quilting, I would be happy to donate to you if you would like it. I will post a photo of it on my blo so you can see what its like, I think I also have the binding made as well.

Milah said...

Your family did good at Quilts Plus! That's also my favorite shop!
Those are beautiful quilts for the soldiers families. I checked out that website you shared with me. I think I'll put one together this winter. Thanks for informing me about this organization.
Also, I hope everyone is feeling better...I've missed you.

Judy said...

Oh so much for the eyes to take in! The lovely log cabin seems perfect as is, not sure it needs borders. The Ohio donation quilt and the other 9 patch are just lovely, they show all too well that even the simplest quilt blocks can make up something superb and wonderful!

Ah the pin cushion, it's almost too lovely for words, Fabulous job!

PS: I can see those tiny hands doing such a good job holding quilts and even peeking out to catch a glimpse of the photographer!

Karen Dianne Lee said...

There's so much "lovely" to comment upon. I'll have to contain myself and simply focus on the pincushion. Sparkling artistry. Breathtaking.

*karendianne./ Living Life at LeeHaven

Sandi said...

That little pincushion is lovely. So is the quilt that you get to keep because that young bride has no idea what she is missing. How fortunate that you "heard it through the grapevine" before you gave it to her and not after she received it and then perhaps donated it to charity never to be seen again. I learned the hard way that while I put much thought and love into some of the handmade gifts I make, others do not always appreciate them or even understand the special love that went into a gift. Kind of reminds me of my niece and the flower girl basket and ring bearer pillow that I made for her wedding last fall. I spent hours working on the items during a time when my mother was very ill. I used special ribbons and trims from her "stash" and they turned out lovely in cream and brown, the colors of her wedding. She gave the basket to her cousin, my other niece, to play with and here I thought she'd save it like my daughter did. Not. I can only guess where the ring bearer pillow is......It all made me kinda sad, not mad, just sad.