Saturday, October 4, 2008

Quilter's have the Biggest Hearts!

To those of you both near and far that have generously offered to give of their time, talent and fabric to make quilt 9 patch blocks for fallen soldiers....
Thank you from the bottom of my heart! If you are interested in contributing a block or a few... I will be starting to make another set of blocks and will work in any donated blocks until I have enough to finish a top. Each quilt requires 16 nine patch blocks in order to complete the top. When the top is complete I will post photos of the quilt top once the blocks have been set and the borders have been sewn on. After that the quilt will make it's way to a quilter that will donate her time to finish the quilting. The blocks that the Ohio Home of the Brave Project uses is a 9 1/2" unfinished 9 patch. In choosing fabrics for blocks that I have made for the quilts, I have used Civil War reproductions as well as Thimbleberries. There are many fabrics that could be used, but please remember that in a sense, these quilts will be given to the families who have lost a loved one. Bright colors, batiks and conversational prints should be avoided. I have used browns, blues, greens, golds, reds, purples in varying shades and patterns. To make one block cut the following: 4 dark squares 3 1/2" squares, 4 light or medium colored 3 1/2" squares, and 1 muslin 3 1/2" square. The center muslin square is for each quilter to sign their name, city, state or country. This block may also be left blank if desired or replaced with a dark or medium colored fabric. The complete set of directions for this quilt can be found at Quilter's Muse. The quilt was originally designed by Bev Macbeth who stepped forward in the begin to be the state coordinator for the state of Ohio Home of the Brave's Quilt Project. Once you have blocks ready to mail please email me at asimplequilter@gmail.com and I will provide and address for you to send the blocks to. I was deeply touched from the number of emails and the comments I received from people who have offered to make blocks. You have encouraged me to continue making these tops for the families who have given so much for our country.

3 comments:

Nadine said...

You don't have to thank us, dear, you're giving us an opportunity of being generous, for a good cause :)

Your instructions are so clear, I'll make a few blocks very soon, and will throw them in my next mailing to you.

VERY BBH to you !
XOXOXOXOXOXO
NADINE
(still sniffing, and coughing :(

Terry said...

I'd be more than happy to donate some blocks for this project! I'll go through my fabrics later today to see what I have that would be suitable. Please send my your address and hopefully I can get them sent off to you this week! :0)

Linda said...

Hi Christine I'll have a look in my stash and see what I have that's suitable. You may need to email me to remind me I have so many things going on with church my heads a bit fuzzy . *s*