Friday, March 6, 2009

March Madness!

In September of 2007, I entered a quilt in the Baby Quilt Contest that the Fons and Porter magazine was holding. While I didn't win the prize, I was contacted by the magazine for permission to use my quilt in an upcoming magazine. I was originally told that my quilt would be featured in a special baby quilt edition of the magazine. Well, that issue came and went on the newsstand and there was no sign of my quilt inside. With life becoming so busy with the move lately...the entire thing had slipped my mind until this little package graced my mailbox totally unexpected earlier this week. After letting out a whoop and a holler...to which my son said, "Mom, I've never heard you yell like that!" I flipped through the issue to find what I knew must be waiting inside.... and there they are the two quilts I originally entered in the contest so long ago. But better than seeing my work featured in a magazine were the words uttered by my child, "Mom, I'm proud of you!" Even though just a handful of days have passed it has been a month of March madness. Last weekend, my son and his team traveled back to Cleveland to play in the championship playoffs and won 4-2. All the hours spent driving to and from the rink over the last five years.... The hours I froze waiting through practice.... And all the hot dog dinners at the snack stand.... I'd do it all over again for a season like that! The Amazing Molly Brown! The children and I have been struggling with boredom while waiting for our turn to move to Wisconsin. One day we got it in our heads that it would be funny if we taught Molly how to get her own ice cubes from the freezer....and it was funny the first dozen or so times! Now when you're in another room and hear the ice machine running and all those ice cubes crashing to the floor...we shake our heads and wonder just what we were thinking! Because Molly doesn't want just one ice cube... she wants them all and has learned to keep her paw pressed to the lever to keep them coming! We're no longer bored and now we spend our time mopping the floor from all those melted ice cubes.

14 comments:

silversewer said...

Well done Christine on getting your quilts published.....I did have to laugh at Molly though, cant, you teach her to mop the floor afterwards?????

Milah said...

Congratulations on having your quilt featured and congratulations on your sons winning season.

That Molly.....she'll probably learn lots of naughty tricks that are too cute!

Nedra said...

Congratulations on the baby quilt being published! And your dog with the ice cubes is hilarious!

Nadine said...

Gee, how I'm proud of you, too, sweet friend !
WooooooHoooo ! HIP HIP HURRAY !
A well deserved reward for a talented and inspiring quilter ;>)
BBH & SMILES !
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
NADINE

Mal* said...

Holy cow! What an accomplishment! Congratulations and many happy thoughts! (They were right, of course, the quilts look great!)

Judy said...

Congrats on the publication, and the new house! Molly seems to be a very clever girl!

Linda said...

Wonderful news Christine, both on the publication of your quilts and the win with your sons team. My gosh Miss Molly sure has grown, she looks like a miniture horse.

*karendianne. said...

I can't imagine how wonderful you must feel to have your own son tell you he's proud of you. Well - I'm proud of you, too but of course I don't carry nearly the weight. ...wait... let's not go there! Great trick you taught Miss Molly, too. dig that. Very cute and fun.

Carol said...

Congratulations Christine on the publication of your quilts...I'll be looking for that magazine and on the winning season! That Miss Molly is truly amazing! What a hoot!

Quilt Hollow said...

Miss Molly caught my eye and that is just too darned cute! Congrats...it is always fun to see our design and name in print! Good job!! I'll have to check the magazine racks!

BUMBLE BEANS said...

WOW, WOW and WOW! three wowsers! great on the quilts in the mag! thats so cool! and the om I'm proud of you part, well, wipe my wet eyes!
Great job on the hockey! and last but not least, Molly. that is just to darn cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine, glad your back. and congratulations on your magazine publication( hope its a best seller!!!).
Oh what tricks we teach others only to silently regret later...
Fantastic result on the hockey, well done to the team,
Hugs, Sue.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,

Way to go on the hockey!

I've been picking up the Fons & Porter magazines when I'm at the grocery looking to see your quilts in there. I'm so happy to hear your news. You go girl! Now when I go to the store tonight I'll know which one to check out.

Ahh, that Molly is a character. They are smarter than we know.

Have a great week!

Hugs,
Lisa P in SW OH

Rose Marie said...

What a thrill for you to have your quilt in their magazine and for your son to cheer you on. What a hoot Molly is ... I'm still smiling!