Saturday, July 25, 2009

home again, home again ......

jiggety jog...
back from a road trip to Ohio for a five day hockey camp, and an award of the captain's "C" after the first day on ice... during the time I watched and waited in the stands, I was able to start a smallish piece of stitching for a certain girl who will be going to school this Fall... I wanted her to have something as a keepsake from her first day of school, so I've decided on a sampler with the alphabet stitched in her favorite color. and while I was away...my dear husband thought he would help around the house and wash the quilt we bought from an Amish farm in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.... "@!$@%#^#&$*$!#@$"
The thread cards that I ordered from Sajou arrived while I was away ...
I am smitten with these little cards and think that they are far too pretty to be wrapped up in thread. I may weave a ribbon through the tops and hang them where I can see them... or find a special box to display them in.

7 comments:

Marilyn R said...

Am I correct in the thought that you are to wind embroidery floss around the thread cards to help you keep organized? I agree they are beautiful the way the are! I bet your Hubby feels horrible about color running on the quilt. Can it be rewashed in a chemical made to take out excess dye? I don't remember the name of the chemical, but I am sure one of your other readers do! I hope you can restore the quilt to it's true beauty.

miniaturequilter said...

That's a wonderful keepsake!!
Your hubby must feel terrible, i hope you can find a way to fix the quilt!!

Anonymous said...

Love the little sampler, such tiny stitches, l am sure your little one will just love it.
I too hope you can fix the colour run on the quilt!!
Love Sue..

Karen said...

The thread winders are lovely! I wonder if I can live without them. :)

Catherine said...

The little sampler is so pretty -- what a lovely keepsake for her!
What about rewashing the quilt with some Colour Catcher sheets to hopefully attract the excess dye? I remember reading that someone had had an issue with migrating colour and basted some Colour Catcher sheets over the worst areas -- and when it was rewashed, virtually all of the dye that had migrated on to the quilt had vanished on to the Colour Catcher.

Judy said...

Well I am going to add my Color Catchers story to the bunch. Hubby had 2 older white t-shirts in the wash and something tossed in there bled color that hit each one...blue on one shirt, pink on the other. They even went into the dryer. The next time washing I put 2 color catchers in the wash and ALL the color came out of both shirts. It's worth a shot...I'd use 2 or 3 of them.

Love the thread cards... so neat!

Kathie said...

hope you tried the color catchers and they worked for you.
bet he felt awful.
oh making her a sampler is such a treasure she will have the rest of her life.
very sweet
congrats for the C on his jersey
what an honor.
Kathie