Sunday, August 2, 2009

a finish and a frozen charlotte

Starting this little piece in July allowed me plenty of time to finish the stitching... now I just need to find a frame so that it can be wrapped and given with love on the morning of the first day of school. If you want to stitch your own little sampler, the chart can be found here on the Blackbird Design blog.
I came across this Frozen Charlotte a few years ago at a quilt show in Ohio. I have no idea how old she is or if her body is jointed or a solid piece. I'd love to take her apart and see. I think about slipping out the stitches around her neck every timeI pick her up. I wonder if she was broken and then made into a pincushion to keep the pieces together? Many of the other Charlotte dolls that I've seen have a glossy shine and black painted hair. My Charlotte has no finish and is very rough. It looks as though she has a tiny speck of blue paint in her eyes All these unanswered questions....how old is she? who did she belong to? why was she stitched into a pincushion?

7 comments:

Nadine said...

How adorable, and such a loving present to your little girl! I'm sure Sarah will cherish it forever... ;>)

"A frozen Charlotte"
I dodn't know about those cuuute pincushion dolls - first time in my life I'm seeing one, and it's so moving the way you're writing about it. I keep looking at it, again and again.
Another treasure of yours...

THANKS, sweetie !
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
NADINE

Judy said...

I'm with Nadine in the "never heard of them" department. I think I'd have to slip that tiny stitch too, although it's fun to wonder too.

I know it will be so hard to let her go that first day of school. Such a lovely sampler for such a big occasion.

Catherine said...

I'd never heard of Frozen Charlotte either! A quick Google search and it's amazing what one can find out!
The little sampler for your daughter is absolutely wonderful. What an incredible keepsake for her.

Anonymous said...

love the little sampler its really lovely, and a Frozen Charlotte, l'm with the others - I'd never heard of it,
Love Sue....

Marilyn R said...

What a lovely sampler, and such a great keepsake! I will chime in too about dear Frozen Charlotte. I have never heard or seen one before. If you do cut the stitches let us know what you find!

Melvin said...

Hello People, I was on a holiday for a month just passing by read this interesting post its great to see that every thing here is getting more lively...thanks a lot for these keep them coming....

___________________
Melvin
One Stop shop for all your Email Marketing Solutions

Cathy said...

To A Simple Quilter....
I keep checking your blog because I love the main picture of the lady feeding the birds, and I love the name of your blog. Where are you? Why did you stop blogging? Has something happened in your life to stop you from blogging and sharing your thoughts with others? I pray you are okay, and life is okay with you. I will pray for you. God bless you!