Tuesday, August 25, 2009

home SWEET home

Things I promised myself that I would do in 2009...
#2
on or before November 1st, make pomanders to hang through the house at Christmas time....
One of my sweetest Christmas memories from my childhood is sitting at the kitchen table with a basket of oranges and a shaker tin of cloves. For years I have wanted to spend time with my children making orange pomanders, but somewhere in the bustle and rush of the holidays....we seem to always find ourselves on the other side of Christmas looking back and saying "next year" .....sigh
Last Christmas, our home was being packed for our upcoming move and with our house listed for sale we tried to keep the mess to a minimum and pomanders were pushed to next year...again I made a handful of promises over New Year that I have been working diligently to keep...and so the last time we went to the market I added oranges, lemons and whole cloves to the basket.... The oranges will take several weeks to thoroughly dry and will last for years and years. Once the oranges are completely dry,they will be tied with a ribbon and as we begin decorating for the holidays a pomander will be hung in each room. promise #2 KEPT!

13 comments:

Teresa aka MarieSews said...

Do they really last for years? I thought pomanders had to be made new every year. I do love that smell of oranges and cloves - what a great combination. Congrats on keeping the NY resolution!

Christine said...

Oh I remember making those! I bet they smell WONDERFUL! I'm going to have to add a few things to my grocery list...

Nadine said...

A promise is a promise, and this one is just so lovely ;>)
Hmmmm, I can almost smell the beautiful scent up to here...
I used to make these for Xmas (sweet memories with my kids), but I didn't know they have to dry. I just made them a week or 2 before Xmas, and put them in a cute basket... Is it cinnamon you put in the bag ??
OK, on to my grocery list, now ;>)

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
BBH
Nadine

Carol said...

I remember making those when I was a child...oh I can smell them...thanks for the wonderful memory.

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Good for you!! It is harded to keep a promise to one self then to keep a promise to another.
Love it when you visit. Please go to Love Vest 8-20 I would love for you to see it!!!!
Love, Fern

Sheila said...

I make these every year (the aroma doesn't last, but they still look nice in a basket or dish). I go to a bulk spice store to purchase my cloves....it takes a lot of them. When I was younger, my piano teacher would have everything sitting out on her table and her students would work on them while they waited for their lesson. :) My daughters and I work on them one evening while we sit by the fireplace with hot cocoa.....they don't take long, but your fingers can get a little sore. :)

Chookyblue...... said...

do you have a picture of a finished one cause I have never seen this before.........

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I had a bowl of these on the table in the living room one Christmas, and we loved the scent! I think this will be on my project list, too.

Catherine said...

What a wonderful tradition! I've never seen this before but think I may just have to make a few!

Jackie said...

I have no idea how to make these! Can you share?

Marilyn R said...

You are making great progress checking off promises! Way to go!!!!!

Suzanne said...

Oh your getting me in the mood for Christmas! Did you use orris root with the cinnamon--it preserves it. Thanks for visiting and I would love to see your TT shawl when your done . I cherish the one I made myself--its on my blog here:
http://blueberrycottage.blogspot.com/2008/09/dreams.html

Jeni said...

Hi what a great idea
what do you roll the oranges please