Tuesday, August 11, 2009

today's lesson: keeping cool under fire

Nine years ago I might have panicked had I found myself in a similar situation...one that involves blood and a child of my own...
but through the years and during the few trips that we've had to make to the nearest field hospital...I've taken copious mental notes...
apply pressure...clean wound....butterfly bandage... fashion splint to immobilize...and finish with waterproof tape...
this boyscout knife has been reassigned to (M)other duties until further notice. And in case you're dying to know what he was using the knife for...unbeknownst to me at the time... he was out in the woods making arrows from sticks... I've not had a chance to ask which book he got this brilliant idea from... I'm sure we'll discuss it when my husband comes home tonight.

11 comments:

Terry said...

Yikes! I'm glad he's OK! And hooray for you for keeping calm and doing all the right things! :0)

The Rabbit Factory said...

Your splint looks realllly professional...were you a nurse in another life? And yes, what boy doesn't want to make arrows from sticks in the woods! Your cover picture intrigued me to read your blog today...it made me smile. Thanks!

Leslie said...

Note to self: check to see if Tetanus shots are current. It takes a certain bravery to doctor your own child. *hugs*

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Boys will be boys! I have been through it with my boys when they were that age too. Good job! Good Mother!
Hugs Fern

Anonymous said...

Hi christine

Sorry that the little man has been in the wars - that's kids for ya.

Mandy
Grimsby UK

PS We've all been there.

Melvin said...

Hello People, I was on a holiday for a month just passing by read this interesting post its great to see that every thing here is getting more lively...thanks a lot for these keep them coming....

___________________
Melvin
One Stop shop for all your Email Marketing Solutions

Marilyn R said...

Ouch! Some lessons are hard to learn, but they are also the hardest to forget!

Shakerwood Primitives said...

AS the mother of two Eagle scouts, I feel your pain. I still joke with them when they grab a knife or matches if they still have their "tote n' chip" card!

Loralynn said...

Having boy's is never easy! I have one that when he was little he was always climing EVERYTHING! Of course, he was always FALLING out of everything too! Hope your little man heals quickly!

Teresa aka MarieSews said...

And they also never stop with the "little" accidents! My 21 year old made a trip to the ER necessary but he was as summer camp 1.5 hours from the ER and 5 hours from home! Luckily, my husband was still at camp dropping off the younger boys so he was able to drive him into town to get the 10 stitches! They will always keep us hopping but as long as all the bumps, bruises, cuts, and breaks are minor, I count my blessings! And yes, this Eagle Scout has LOST his Totin' Chip as well as his pocket knife for quite some time!

Judy said...

I've always been petrified of pocket knives. Just always figured I'd cut myself opening it up. Now the kitchen knife, I'm a pro, but not those! Hope the finger heals quickly!