Wednesday, August 10, 2011

summer in seven

Seven photos that for us will be reminders of the summer that was 2011....


the odds of breaking your arm while trying to do your first cartwheel?
                                                              

note to self: do not trust children who tell you that they have collected
ALL of the eggs from the chicken coop.  By now I should be on to their
shenanigans!!!!!


note to self:  NO ONE needs 21 tomato plants in their garden!!!


The discovery that drying dishes feels less like work when using cute towels.


What's wrong with this picture?
It helps to know that we planted a packet of WHITE pumpkin seeds in
our garden this spring.  Not only is this pumpkin orange but it's on it's way
to becoming a carriage....36" around and it's only August.


In June, I gathered a bag full of fabrics to donate to a local charity.  Many of the fabrics were
left over scraps from the years that my mother and I made dolls and date back 15-25 years.
Some were fabrics that I couldn't recall why I'd bought them and wanted them to go away.
 Together they sang out to me and somewhere between the basement and the car I decided to piece them together into a scrap quilt that I could take with me when we went camping this summer.
Mission accomplished...my quilt was far easier to dry than a sleeping bag after it ended up raining
on the tent for five days!!! 


Three weeks of military academy boarding camp (the little guy on the far left is mine)
and a request from him that he be apply for admission to enter this
particular military boarding academy in the fall of 2012.... 

which means... this will be our last year schooling here at home...
oh, the adventures that are waiting to unfold themselves before us.

4 comments:

Winona said...

What a summer you have had. The last time I attempted a cartwheel, I sprained both wrists, so I feel your daughter's pain. No little chicks for us this summer as we only have one old chicken left. We planted 18 tomatoes. That is also way too many. We'll probably plant 6-10 next summer. I have been thinking about embroidering some dish towels. We planted pumpkins, but they aren't near as big as yours. Great idea to make use of some scraps. Good luck to your son. I enjoyed this post. (grin)

Sheila said...

Wow!!!! This is a great recap posting! I am so sorry for the broken arm....and in this nasty heat we have had! The chicks are sweet, the pumpkin is hilarious, the tomatoes make me envious and the quilt turned out great! But...I'm sorry....not even a cute dish towel makes drying dishes fun.....that is why mine are stacked in the dish drainer with the wonderful towel you sent me covering them! :) And how proud you must be that your son is so patriotic....will he still be able to play hockey? Enjoy these days!!

Marilyn Robertson said...

Looks like you have had one interesting Summer! Hopefully Fall will give you some fun surprises with no broken bones! Ouch! :(

snowlady said...

Came upon your blog and throughly enjoyed it. Love all the pics. I too love to knit and crochet as well.
Check out my blog when you get a chance.